Avenues Counseling offers group counseling for those wanting to work through the healing process in a community with others dealing with the same struggles.
Group counseling can present a number of benefits to those seeking healing in their lives; which is why we strive to offer a variety of groups as paths to emotional wellness. Learning and growing together in a group provides an invaluable, guided experience through the support, information, and process of moving together with others who understand your experience.
View our group options below or contact us for more information.
Groups for Men
S.T.A.R.T Groups – Sexual Trauma and Addiction Recovery Therapy
We offer an 18-week therapy group focused on helping men learn, understand, and heal from sexual addiction. Through the course of the group, members will gain increased self-awareness and learn how to have a healthy relationship with sex.
- Create an environment of relational safety to foster a community of support.
- Develop a healthier relationship with sex and sexuality.
- Equip participants with coping skills.
- Increase ability to have more satisfying interpersonal relationships.
- Increase internal awareness.
- Learn how past and current trauma experiences can impact relationships with sex and sexuality.
- Commit to attending all 18 weeks
- Meet with an individual counselor 1-2 times a month (it is not required that your counselor be an Avenues’ counselor).
- Meet with group leader prior to the start of the group (there is no fee for this intake appointment).
- The group will meet on Wednesday evenings from 7-9 pm, next group start date TBD.
- The cost per group session is $40 (included in this fee is the L.I.F.E. Recovery Guide for Men, by Mark Laaser). Payment plans and scholarships are available upon request. Please speak with the group leaders for more information.
Sam Bearer, PLPC – Learn more about Sam here.
Sam Egertson, PLPC – Learn more about Sam here.
How Do I Sign Up?
To get more information about this group or to schedule your intake appointment, please contact Sam Bearer, PLPC, at [email protected], or call him at 314-632-6587.
Groups for Women
A Gift to Myself
This group will help us discover the ways that life’s difficulties give us the tools to grow. We can break free of the pain that comes from having an adult relationship that has proven to fall short of our needs for emotional support and heal from surviving a childhood with at least one emotionally unavailable caretaker or abusive relationship.
- Materials Needed: “A Gift to Myself” workbook by Charles Whitfield, M.D. Further reading: “Healing the Child Within” same author.
- Dates: This group will meet for 10 weeks, bi-weekly, beginning Tuesday, March 5th, from 7:00-8:30 pm. (Meeting dates will be 3/5, 3/19, 4/2, 4/16, 4/30, 5/14, 5/28, 6/11,6/25, 7/2)
- Participants: 5–8
- Facilitator: Kathi Wallace, LPC. Learn more about Kathi here.
- Cost: $300 total. $60 to pre-register and monthly payments of $60 thereafter.
- How Do I Sign Up? Contact Kathi at 314-626-4285 or [email protected]
Groups for Adolescents
Peacemakers for Teens (grades 9-12)
This 10 week group is ideal for teens who become discouraged by tension in social circles or within family dynamics. Typically teens who benefit the most from this group struggle with anxiety when a situation requires them to speak up for themselves or experience high anxiety when doing a school project. These teens may suddenly erupt or shut down. This group also benefits those who struggle with depression from leadership pressures.
This group will use art, music, and expressive group techniques. Group participants will be encouraged to incorporate their faith and common sense to heighten awareness and the development of peacemaking skills.
Individual or school counselor referrals welcomed.
- Build peer leaders using role play interactive games.
- Practice effectual interpersonal skills while motivating group participants to balance tensions of school, social life, and relationships at home.
- Thursdays,7-8:30 PM for 10 weeks
- Groups are limited to 5-8 participants
- The cost per group session is $30 ($90 to pre-register; the remaining balance is due at the first night of group. Arrangements can be made to allow you to make 3 payments if there is a financial hardship.)
Kathi Wallace, MA, LPC. Learn more about Kathi here.
How Do I Sign Up?
Contact Kathi at 314-626-4285 or [email protected]
- A referral from a school or individual counselor is preferred, but not mandatory. If you have not been formally referred to Peacemakers for Teens, then Kathi asks that you come in for an intake session to ensure this group is a good fit for your teen.
- Parents / Legal Guardians are responsible to pay for each session of group, even if your teen has to miss a session for unforeseeable circumstances.
- Parents / Legal Guardian must leave cell number contact with counselor if they are leaving the agency premises and must pick up students by 8:30.